Re: PostgreSQL Developer meeting minutes up

From: kris(at)shannon(dot)id(dot)au
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Markus Wanner <markus(at)bluegap(dot)ch>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Ron Mayer <rm_pg(at)cheapcomplexdevices(dot)com>, Marko Kreen <markokr(at)gmail(dot)com>, Greg Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Aidan Van Dyk <aidan(at)highrise(dot)ca>, Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL Developer meeting minutes up
Date: 2009-06-13 16:13:47
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> So there are a lot of good reasons to work backwards in patching.
> I don't believe that these would be outweighed by some advantage
> in the mechanics of applying an unchanging patch to multiple
> branches (especially since AFAICT the mechanical advantage would
> be pretty darn minimal anyhow).

As another data point, the stable branches of the linux kernel are
actually maintained this way. There is a policy that any patch for the
stable branches must have already be included (in some form) in HEAD.
There is no merging going on. They aren't even using git cherry-pick, but
that's because all backpatching goes into a review list rather than happening
immediately.

The multiple branches and merging that is going on in the linux kernel
is all about development of new features, not fixing of bugs.