Re: Pgsql (and mysql) benchmark on T2000/Solaris and some profiling

From: "Qingqing Zhou" <zhouqq(at)cs(dot)toronto(dot)edu>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Pgsql (and mysql) benchmark on T2000/Solaris and some profiling
Date: 2006-05-16 10:01:26
Lists: pgsql-performance
"Arjen van der Meijden" <acmmailing(at)tweakers(dot)net> wrote

> Long story short, we think the test is a nice example of the relatively
> lightweight, read-heavy webapplications out there and therefore decided
> to have a go at postgresql as well.

Some sort of web query behavior is quite optimized in MySQL. For example,
the query below is runing very fast due to the query result cache
implementation in MySQL.

Loop N times
    SELECT * FROM A WHERE i = 1;
End loop.

> You can find the samples here:
> http://achelois.tweakers.net/~acm/pgsql-t2000/syscall.log
> http://achelois.tweakers.net/~acm/pgsql-t2000/usrcall.log

IMHO, without knowing the exact queries you sent, these logs are not very
useful :-(. I would suggest you compare the queries in pair and then post
their dtrace/timing results here (just like the previous Firebird vs.
PostgreSQL comparison did).

Regards,
Qingqing