Re: Regd: TODO Item : Have EXPLAIN ANALYZE issue NOTICE messages ...

From: "Ramya Chandrasekar" <csekar(dot)ramya(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Regd: TODO Item : Have EXPLAIN ANALYZE issue NOTICE messages ...
Date: 2008-07-27 03:45:30
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Regarding: Optimizer To Do Item: Have EXPLAIN ANALYZE issue NOTICE messages
when the estimated and actual row counts differ by a specified percentage.

Hi,

After going through the thread related to the above mentioned to do Item, my
understanding is that:

Issuing notices when a problematic node occurs is useful in the case of long
running queries. It can avoid having the user wait a couple of hours to
solve the problem.

A possible solution from the archives was summarized as below:

Bruce Momjian Wrote :

I was thinking we could issue NOTICE when the estimates differed from

the actual by a specified percentage, and that NOTICE could be issued

while the query is still processing, assuming the stage completes before

the query does. This seems much easier than doing protocol changes.

Looking forward to your inputs on this.

Thank you,
Ramya