Re: improvement for version after the current one...

From: "Massa, Harald Armin" <chef(at)ghum(dot)de>
To: Euler Taveira de Oliveira <euler(at)timbira(dot)com>
Cc: pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: improvement for version after the current one...
Date: 2009-05-09 08:34:05
Lists: pgadmin-hackers
> I suggest that the DROP SQL is extended by "IF EXISTS" on objects that

> > support "if exists"
> >
> Why? If pgAdmin is emitting 'DROP TABLE foo', that is because foo exists.
>
> yes, it does exist. In the database I am connected to. One rather common
situation is to have more then one database of the "same" content - staging
/ production, customer 1 / customer2; version 3 / version 4.

And the obligation to exchange DML from one to the other. Copying the SQL
from pgadmin, collecting it in files and mailing them as DB-service-packs to
other places ... where the object may or may not exist. Or also developing
within the TEST-database with PGADMIN and copying the DML to files to put in
RCS.

"DROP IF EXISTS" does work; "DROP" raises an error which has to be dealt
with. That dealing is in 90% usage "go on", as the next command usually is
to create that object.

Harald

--
GHUM Harald Massa