Intelligent RDBMS

From: ghatpande(at)vsnl(dot)net
To: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Intelligent RDBMS
Date: 2010-11-02 11:25:38
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hello All,
I am Vijay Ghatpande from Pune, India. I am in IT field for last 30 years and mainly in ERP design, development and implementation. I have worked on JD Edwards, Oracle Apps and SAP. I was involved in design and development of ERP package called ISP – Integrated Software for Production. Now I am independent and started my own consultancy AMS ERP Solutions and work for SME industries in and around Pune. I am technical and worked from COBO, DGL to .NET, C++. I have also worked as ORACLE, DB2 DBA for many years.

I have a dream project in my mind. It is on Relational Database Management. Pl read below paragraph from the angle of users of application developed on RDBMS.
Any application contains many tables and they are related to each other. RDBMS keeps relations. Developers, users have to know these relations to extract proper data and convert it into information. If multiple tables are involved then query can be more complex. Main problem with RDBMS is writing SQL. End users avoid SQL and thinks that this is a technical work. This is limitation of RDBMS. If SQL becomes free of table and relations then l am sure everyone will like it.

For example MS Dynamics has many tables to store the data. We can keep this data in such a way that for developer MS Dynamics will be one table say MSD and user can extract any data from that table. He need not know internal table relations. If this happens life will be easy for many. Application development will be very easy and cost effective. This can be achieved by creating views. I am thinking of intelligent database where relations are inbuilt. If this is available in the product itself then domain knowledge will be in RDBMS. If SQL becomes free of table and relations then l am sure everyone will like it. My intention is not to hide relations from users. But this will be one of the advantages of intelligent RDBMS. This will be next generation RDBMS. This is going to change the RDBMS, ERP world.

I am requesting you to give me feedback.

With Warm Regards,