Migrating databases from MS SQL Server to PostgreSQL

From: doobie(at)lavache(dot)com (Doobie)
To: pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Migrating databases from MS SQL Server to PostgreSQL
Date: 2004-11-16 08:37:17
Lists: pgsql-odbc

I'm trying to migrate one of our MS SQL databases to Postgre, but have
encountered a little problem. I thought that the best way to do it was
to use Postgre ODBC drivers to transfer data from SQL Server from a
DTS. The only tables that I can't transfer have some columns of text
type. I can't change it to varchar, because some fields can have more
than 8040 characters (SQL Server's limit). When executing the DTS,
I've got the following error : "Data for source column 9 is too large
for the specified buffer size". Column 9 is the first column with text
Do you have an idea on how I could avoid this, or another way to
import data ? I've also tried to export my tables in text format and
import with postgre's COPY, but some fields have carriage return
included (for web pages) wich doesn't make it easy.

pgsql-odbc by date

Next:From: Rolf stvikDate: 2004-11-16 08:49:17
Previous:From: Gary DoadesDate: 2004-11-15 21:06:56
Subject: Re: IBM VisualAge Smalltalk, ODBC, 8.0 Beta 4 and retrieving