"yum update" breaking postgis 2.0 installations?

From: Gabriele Bartolini <Gabriele(dot)Bartolini(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)it>
To: <pgsql-pkg-yum(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: "yum update" breaking postgis 2.0 installations?
Date: 2013-10-01 13:13:31
Lists: pgsql-pkg-yum

Hi there,

I had a PostGIS 2.0 package running on CentOS 64 (64 bit). Today I
typed:

yum update

The update involved the "postgis2_92" package as well.

At the end of the process, the existing databases using PostGIS 2.0
started to break and generate errors, complaining that the
$libdir/postgis-2.0.so file was missing.

I inspected and noticed that this update forces to move users from
2.0 to 2.1, even though full compatibility seems not to be guaranteed
between these two versions (see
http://postgis.net/docs/manual-2.1/release_notes.html#id707272).

For the moment I have copied the .so file from the production server,
and it seems ok. Unfortunately I won't be able to file a detailed report
until tomorrow morning, as I am busy for the rest of the afternoon.
Could you please investigate/confirm/reply in the meanwhile?

Thank you.

Cheers,
Gabriele
--