robust way of moving tables to a different disk??

From: Sam Mortimer <sam(dot)mortimer(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: robust way of moving tables to a different disk??
Date: 2004-12-16 10:06:54
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hello,

I'd like to move some tables from a particular database onto a
different set of disks. However, I can't see any robust way of
achieving this. I've tried using symlinks but these can easily be
broken by a mixture of "vacuum full" and growing the table again
(assuming the table is large enough to span multiple files). We can
handle a solution that breaks when the table is dropped and recreated,
that's a special enough case enough to be managed.

Any ideas welcome!

Regards,
-Sam.