Re: Application using PostgreSQL (off topic, but relevant to question)

From: William Yu <wyu(at)talisys(dot)com>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Application using PostgreSQL (off topic, but relevant to question)
Date: 2005-11-17 20:49:48
Lists: pgsql-novice

operationsengineer1(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote:
> i've literally burned weeks of time getting my
> html/css right - and just spent a few days reqriting
> my entire html/css infrastructure b/c ie doesn't
> support the w3c standard of min-width. i could hack
> it, but then ie broke other parts of the site...
> hence the total rewrite.

Heh, I actually get great cross-browser compatibility by ignoring CSS
for everything except final output type documents. (I.e. stuff that
actually has to be printed out and mailed.)

This means using tables inside of tables, repetitive formatting tags and
other prehistoric techniques. The HTML ends up being much bloated but
then I turn on gzip encoding so the impact isn't that big. I also avoid
too much formatting because I believe in letting the user choose
whatever font type/size he's comfortable with.

This means the stuff not only works in todays browser but also looks the
same in freaking Netscape 4. Although I no longer test in Netscape 4. :)
I know my pages used to work a few years ago but with almost no users on
NS4 nowadays, it's not worth the effort to check new features.