Re: Hardware/OS recommendations for large databases ( 5TB)

From: William Yu <wyu(at)talisys(dot)com>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Hardware/OS recommendations for large databases ( 5TB)
Date: 2005-11-15 18:57:05
Lists: pgsql-performance
Merlin Moncure wrote:
>>You could instead buy 8 machines that total 16 cores, 128GB RAM and
>
> It's hard to say what would be better.  My gut says the 5u box would be
> a lot better at handling high cpu/high concurrency problems...like your
> typical business erp backend.  This is pure speculation of course...I'll
> defer to the experts here.

In this specific case (data warehouse app), multiple machines is the
better bet. Load data on 1 machine, copy to other servers and then use a
middleman to spread out SQL statements to each machine.

I was going to suggest pgpool as the middleman but I believe it's
limited to 2 machines max at this time. I suppose you could daisy chain
pgpools running on every machine.