Re: PostgreSQL on Dual Processors, Dual-Core AMD Chips

From: William Yu <wyu(at)talisys(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL on Dual Processors, Dual-Core AMD Chips
Date: 2005-10-19 07:32:36
Lists: pgsql-general

Onyx wrote:
> Hello Everyone,
> Does anyone know if PostgreSQL supports running on dual processors, and
> will efficiently utilize the dual processors for performance? More
> specifically, will PostgreSQL utilize the dual processor performance of
> using dual-core AMD chips? Any information would be helpful...

We've got a 2x265 production server that runs like gangbusters. This was
a CPU drop-in replacement upgrade so we were able to do some simple
testing of 1x265 versus 2x244 (both setups w/ 2 1.8GHz cores). The 1x265
was faster in pretty much everything we threw at it by 10%-15%. I
suspect the performance difference of a 2x265 versus a 4x844 would be
even greater due to the big latency hit in a 4 socket Opteron system.

Expect to need to upgrade to later Linux cores though. Previous kernel
on this server was 2.6.9+ (FC3 64-bit) -- promptly kernel panic'd upon
install of the DCs. FC3 installer did the same thing. Went to FC4
(2.6.11+) and it has run perfect for the past 3 months. We'll probably
do a yum update to 2.6.13+ to take advantage of the better NUMA code now
that we've successfully done this update on a less critical server.