Question regarding pg_restore

From: Wye Jon Lee <wyejonlee(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Question regarding pg_restore
Date: 2005-09-23 08:22:24
Lists: pgsql-novice

This is my first post to ANY mailing list so apologies in advance if I
screw up anywhere.

I'm using the pg_restore utility in PostgreSQL 8.0.3 with the following command:

pg_restore.exe -i -h localhost -p 5432 -U "username" -d databasename
-v "outputfile.backup"

pg_restore prompts me for a password and no matter what I key in it
fails my login. Looking at the pg_hba.conf file, I find my settings
configured as:

host all all 127.0.0.1/32 md5

It looks to me that the pg_restore program is expecting me to enter an
MD5 sum as the password. Due to the limitiation of my project's
requirement I'm not allowed to meddle with the pg_hba.conf file. Does
anyone know the correct method to generate an MD5 hash for the
password so that I may pass it in to pg_dump using the command line?

Regards.

--
visit my blog: http://wp.peachjon.com