Re: psql questions: SQL, progname, copyright dates

From: "Greg Sabino Mullane" <greg(at)turnstep(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: psql questions: SQL, progname, copyright dates
Date: 2004-08-29 12:34:49
Lists: pgsql-hackers

>> 1. Do we want to use quote_ident on object names? Ideally, column
>> names with a space in them, for example, should be surrounded by
>> double quotes.

> Example of it failing? You mean like \d tablename?

Yes: CREATE TABLE "Upper Division" (
abc int,
" spaced out " text,
" real ""Name""" text,
"MixedCase" text
);

psql=> \d U*

Did not find any relation named "U*".
(hmm...)

psql=> \d "Upper Division"

Table "public.Upper Division"
Column | Type | Modifiers
---------------+---------+-----------
abc | integer |
spaced out | text |
real "Name" | text |
MixedCase | text |

This should be:

Table "public.Upper Division"
Column | Type | Modifiers
------------------+---------+-----------
abc | integer |
" spaced out " | text |
" real ""Name""" | text |
"MixedCase" | text |

>> \d [NAME] describe table, index, sequence, or view

> The issue is that while \d doesn't list indexes, \d indexname works.
> Any idea how to clarify that?

By showing indexes when you do a \d? By clearly stating that \d without
args only shows 3 of the 4 items? I'm not sure.

>> a new function and do a \df, I have to wade through all the
>> system functions in the pg_catalog schema before seeing mine.

> Well, at least they are together at the bottom.

Over 1,500 rows later! :) With a pager, that's a real pain.

PGP Key: 0x14964AC8 200408290833