Re: Unexpected ADO properties

From: "Jeff Eckermann" <jeff_eckermann(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Unexpected ADO properties
Date: 2005-08-22 04:24:03
Lists: pgsql-odbc

"Bernard Henry Voynet" <bhv(at)quebecemail(dot)com> wrote in message
> Hello
> I am working on a project that access databases through ADO
> over ODBC and must now include PostgreSQL.
>
> The code of this project needs to know about the fields
> caracteristics like whether or not it is:
> - a primary key
> - an autoincrement key
> - nullabble
> - updatable
> - etc..
>
> For this I use the ADO properties that give theses
> informations.
>
> For a Jet database I get (for example):
> serialkey
> Type = adInteger
> DefinedSize = 4
> Precision = 10
> NumericScale = 255
> Status = adRecOK
> Attributes = adFldFixed
> Properties (9)
> BASECATALOGNAME (adVarWChar) = (Null)
> BASECOLUMNNAME (adVarWChar) = serialkey
> BASESCHEMANAME (adVarWChar) = (Null)
> BASETABLENAME (adVarWChar) = genericfields
> CALCULATIONINFO (adVarBinary) = (Null)
> ISAUTOINCREMENT (adBoolean) = True
> KEYCOLUMN (adBoolean) = True
> OPTIMIZE (adBoolean) = False
> RELATIONCONDITIONS (adVarBinary) = (Null)
>
> However, with PostgreSQL 8.0.3 (psqlodc 08.00.0102), I don't get what
> is expected.
>
> When I declare le serialkey field as as SERIAL PRIMARY KEY, instead of the
> expected result, I get:
> serialkey
> Type = adInteger
> DefinedSize = 4
> Precision = 10
> NumericScale = 255
> Status = adRecOK
> Attributes = adFldUnknownUpdatable, adFldFixed, adFldIsNullable,
> adFldMayBeNull
> Properties (9)
> BASECATALOGNAME (adVarWChar) = (Null)
> BASECOLUMNNAME (adVarWChar) = serialkey
> BASESCHEMANAME (adVarWChar) = (Null)
> BASETABLENAME (adVarWChar) = genericfields
> CALCULATIONINFO (adVarBinary) = (Null)
> ISAUTOINCREMENT (adBoolean) = False
> KEYCOLUMN (adBoolean) = True
> OPTIMIZE (adBoolean) = False
> RELATIONCONDITIONS (adVarBinary) = (Null)
>
> Where both:
> - Attributes
> - ISAUTOINCREMENT
> Are not correct since serialkey is a non nullable serial key

PostgreSQL has no notion of "autoincrement". The "serial" type is an
equivalent implementation, but is not actually a type in itself; it is an
integer type with a default value drawn from a sequence.

The values reported in the "attributes" are certainly wrong; this is
definitely a bug somewhere, but where, I don't know enough to say. Perhaps
someone more knowledgeable can help.