Skip site navigation (1) Skip section navigation (2)

Re: AP2

From: Neil Saunders <n(dot)j(dot)saunders(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Sho Cki <shocki2003(at)yahoo(dot)fr>
Cc: pgsql-php(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: AP2
Date: 2005-12-12 14:51:43
Message-ID: ddcd549e0512120651x6bfc6c48jaa9e1b32cd86e22b@mail.gmail.com (view raw or flat)
Thread:
Lists: pgsql-php
As far as I can tell, MySQL is usually bundled because of it's orignis
- PHP was meant to be a lightweight, easy to use scripting language
for personal projects, and MySQL complemented this by being a
lightweight, fast database server. It didn't need to be enterprise
strength, because 95% of PHP sites at the time were simple blogs; They
were personal sites developed by individuals.

Also at the time, PostgreSQL didn't run natively on Windows - You had
to use an emulation layer such as cygwin, and was a headache for
anyone with little *nix experience (i.e most individuals writing
personal sites). Hence MySQL, with it's Windows installer and easier
maintainance, won out.

On 12/12/05, Sho Cki <shocki2003(at)yahoo(dot)fr> wrote:
> I agree you have a better control over your software when you know it well
> and install it yourself.
>
> I'll take a look to WAMP. I'm just wondering why MySQL is the standard DB
> server coming along with PHP and Apache in this kind of package. PostgreSQL
> seems to me much more powerfull.
>
> Anyway. Thank you very much for your advices!
>
> Cheers
>
> Neil Saunders <n(dot)j(dot)saunders(at)gmail(dot)com> a écrit :
> I agree with your point, but am still of the opinion that setting up
> your own configuration will be reclaimed down the line when you need
> to change your configuration, and you have that extra bit of
> familiarity. If you still want to go down the package route, there are
> plenty of *free* equivilants to this, it's just that most don't
> include PostgreSQL.
>
> Try something like WAMP:
> http://www.wampserver.com/en/index.php
>
> And then install PostgreSQL using the Windows installer - It doesn't
> get much easier than that!
>
> Best of luck!
>
> On 12/12/05, Sho Cki wrote:
> > Thank you Neil for your answer.
> >
> >
> > You're right I can save 29$ by installing all the stuff myself. But as I
> > don't like spending hours putting all together I was curious to know if it
> > does the work well.
> >
> > I see it like a commercial Linux distribution: I buy the distribution even
> > if it relies on free software because otherwise it would be too long time
> > for me.
> >
> >
> > ________________________________
> > Appel audio GRATUIT partout dans le monde avec le nouveau Yahoo! Messenger
> > Téléchargez le ici !
> >
> >
>
>
>
> ________________________________
> Appel audio GRATUIT partout dans le monde avec le nouveau Yahoo! Messenger
> Téléchargez le ici !
>
>

In response to

  • Re: AP2 at 2005-12-12 14:25:35 from Sho Cki

pgsql-php by date

Next:From: Robert TreatDate: 2005-12-12 15:16:17
Subject: Re: AP2
Previous:From: Sho CkiDate: 2005-12-12 14:25:35
Subject: Re: AP2

Privacy Policy | About PostgreSQL
Copyright © 1996-2014 The PostgreSQL Global Development Group