Beginning tuning

From: "Phillip Mills" <pmills(at)systemcore(dot)ca>
To: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Beginning tuning
Date: 2007-11-06 14:09:35
Lists: pgsql-jdbc
I'm just getting started on the process of analyzing performance for a Java
Enterprise application.  (The main negative symptom at the moment is that it
doesn't use more than three processors on an eight-processor system,
regardless of load.)

One of the first things I've noticed out of a number of thread dumps is that
there's about an 80% chance that the stack points to I/O requests from
PGStream.ReceiveChar().  I'm wondering about any hints or pointers that
would help me understand whether that's expected behavior, or something that
needs fixing, or just generally how to evaluate/improve JDBC performance.

(Regarding the main problem, none of my threads are reported in a blocked
state, leading to my focus on I/O.)

pgsql-jdbc by date

Next:From: Dave CramerDate: 2007-11-06 14:32:13