Re: mysql to postgresql, performance questions

From: Scott Marlowe <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Dimitri Fontaine <dfontaine(at)hi-media(dot)com>
Cc: Corin <wakathane(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: mysql to postgresql, performance questions
Date: 2010-03-19 13:51:42
Lists: pgsql-performance

On Fri, Mar 19, 2010 at 3:04 AM, Dimitri Fontaine
<dfontaine(at)hi-media(dot)com> wrote:
> Corin <wakathane(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
>> I'm running quite a large social community website (250k users, 16gb
>> database). We are currently preparing a complete relaunch and thinking about
>> switching from mysql 5.1.37 innodb to postgresql 8.4.2. The database server
>> is a dual dualcore operton 2216 with 12gb ram running on debian amd64.
>>
>> For a first impression I ran a simple query on our users table (snapshot
>
> For more serious impression and realistic figures, you could use tsung
> atop the http side of your application and compare how it performs given
> a certain load of concurrent users.
>
> In your situation I'd expect to win a lot going to PostgreSQL on
> concurrency scaling. Tsung is made to test that.

Exactly. The OP's original benchmark is a single query run by a
single thread. A realistic benchmark would use increasing numbers of
clients in parallel to see how each db scales under load. A single
query by a single thread is pretty uninteresting and unrealistic