Re: SSD + RAID

From: Scott Marlowe <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Merlin Moncure <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Scott Carey <scott(at)richrelevance(dot)com>, "david(at)lang(dot)hm" <david(at)lang(dot)hm>, Brad Nicholson <bnichols(at)ca(dot)afilias(dot)info>, Karl Denninger <karl(at)denninger(dot)net>, Laszlo Nagy <gandalf(at)shopzeus(dot)com>, pgsql-performance <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: SSD + RAID
Date: 2009-11-19 21:52:08
Lists: pgsql-performance

On Thu, Nov 19, 2009 at 2:39 PM, Merlin Moncure <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 19, 2009 at 4:10 PM, Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:
>> You can use pgbench to either get interesting peak read results, or peak
>> write ones, but it's not real useful for things in between.  The standard
>> test basically turns into a huge stack of writes to a single table, and the
>> select-only one is interesting to gauge either cached or uncached read speed
>> (depending on the scale).  It's not very useful for getting a feel for how
>> something with a mixed read/write workload does though, which is unfortunate
>> because I think that scenario is much more common than what it does test.
>
> all true, but it's pretty easy to rig custom (-f) commands for
> virtually any test you want,.

My primary use of pgbench is to exercise a machine as a part of
acceptance testing. After using it to do power plug pulls, I run it
for a week or two to exercise the drive array and controller mainly.
Any machine that runs smooth for a week with a load factor of 20 or 30
and the amount of updates that pgbench generates don't overwhelm it
I'm pretty happy.