Re: HW recommendatons

From: Scott Marlowe <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Kevin Kempter <kevink(at)consistentstate(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: HW recommendatons
Date: 2009-06-11 05:40:58
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Wed, Jun 10, 2009 at 6:19 PM, Kevin
Kempter<kevink(at)consistentstate(dot)com> wrote:
> So, if price were not an option and you had a system that needed to average
> 10K+ inserts per second what HW would you recommend? (Obviously there's mega
> architectural issues here)

This really depends on how it's going to be used. Do these inserts
need to be made to the same exact image to prevent collisions? Can
they go to multiple servers and be aggregated at a later date? Are
you running thousands of inserts in the same transaction? couple? one?

> Server?
> (Dell PowerEdge 905? , HP Proliant DL700?)

I find their solutions kind of limited and overly expensive in the big db realm.

> Direct Attached Storage:
> (Dell MD3000? HP MSA70?)

Lots of companies make and sell JBOD solutions. Again, I find the big
vendors tend to overcharge for storage boxes.

> RAID/Storage array cards?

Areca 1680ix w/ bbu cache

> Other?

As many hard drives and controllers as you can afford to throw at it?