Re: raid setup for db

From: Scott Marlowe <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Thomas Finneid <tfinneid(at)fcon(dot)no>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: raid setup for db
Date: 2009-05-13 08:28:48
Lists: pgsql-performance
On Wed, May 13, 2009 at 1:51 AM, Thomas Finneid <tfinneid(at)fcon(dot)no> wrote:
> Hi
>
> I am wondering what stripe size, on a raid 0, is the most suitable for
> postgres 8.2?
>
> I read a performance tutorial by Bruce Momjian and it suggest setting the
> stripe size to the same block size (as pg uses?)
> ( http://momjian.us/main/writings/pgsql/hw_performance/index.html )
> But I want to check whether I have understood this correctly.
>
> Are there any other hot confguration tips I should consider or does anybody
> have any suggestions for other raid configuration articles?

8k is a pretty small stripe size.  If you do anything that needs seq
scans, a larger stripe size generally helps.  It's probably more
important to align the file system's block size to the underlying RAID
than to worry about the pg block size too much.  Common values that
have been posted here running fast for both random and sequential
access have been in the 32k to 256k range with some outliers on the
high end doing well.