Re: partition question for new server setup

From: Scott Marlowe <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Scott Carey <scott(at)richrelevance(dot)com>
Cc: Craig James <craig_james(at)emolecules(dot)com>, Whit Armstrong <armstrong(dot)whit(at)gmail(dot)com>, "pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: partition question for new server setup
Date: 2009-04-29 00:19:56
Lists: pgsql-performance
On Tue, Apr 28, 2009 at 5:58 PM, Scott Carey <scott(at)richrelevance(dot)com> wrote:

> 1.  If everything is on the same partition/file system, fsyncs from the
> xlogs may cross-pollute to the data.  Ext3 is notorious for this, though
> data=writeback limits the effect you especially might not want
> data=writeback on your OS partition.  I would recommend that the OS, Data,
> and xlogs + etc live on three different partitions regardless of the number
> of logical RAID volumes.

Note that I remember reading some comments a while back that just
having a different file system, on the same logical set, makes things
faster.  I.e. a partition for OS, one for xlog and one for pgdata on
the same large logical volume was noticeably faster than having it all
on the same big partition on a single logical volume.