Re: partition question for new server setup

From: Scott Marlowe <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Whit Armstrong <armstrong(dot)whit(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: partition question for new server setup
Date: 2009-04-28 17:37:13
Lists: pgsql-performance
On Tue, Apr 28, 2009 at 10:56 AM, Whit Armstrong
<armstrong(dot)whit(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> I have the opportunity to set up a new postgres server for our
> production database.  I've read several times in various postgres
> lists about the importance of separating logs from the actual database
> data to avoid disk contention.
>
> Can someone suggest a typical partitioning scheme for a postgres server?

At work I have 16 SAS disks.  They are setup with 12 in a RAID-10, 2
in a RAID-1 and 2 hot spares.

The OS, /var/log, and postgres base go in the RAID-1.  I then create a
new data directory on the RAID-10, shut down pgsql, copy the base
directory over to the RAID-10 and replace the base dir in the pg data
directory with a link to the RAID-10's base directory and restart
postgres.  So, my pg_xlog and all OS and logging stuff goes on the
RAID-10 and the main store for the db goes on the RAID-10.