Re: Help request to improve function performance

From: Scott Marlowe <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Seref Arikan <serefarikan(at)kurumsalteknoloji(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Help request to improve function performance
Date: 2009-04-23 00:21:41
Lists: pgsql-general

2009/4/22 Seref Arikan <serefarikan(at)kurumsalteknoloji(dot)com>:
> Hi Filip,
> First of all: thanks a lot for your kind response. Here is the create script
> for my schema:
>
> CREATE TABLE "app"."archetype_data" (
>   "id" BIGINT NOT NULL,
>   "context_id" VARCHAR(1000),
>   "archetype_name" VARCHAR(1000),
>   "archetype_path" VARCHAR(1000),
>   "name" VARCHAR(1000),
>   "value_string" VARCHAR(1000),
>   "value_int" BIGINT,
>   "value_double" DOUBLE PRECISION,
>   "session_id" VARCHAR(1000),
>   "instance_index" INTEGER,
>   CONSTRAINT "archetype_data_pkey" PRIMARY KEY("id")
> ) WITHOUT OIDS;

If I'm not mistaken, you're doing Entity Attribute Value model type
storage. I.e. a database in a database. Makes for easy coding, and
danged near impossible to troubleshoot your data.

It's a religious issue but I come down on the side that good data
modelling is hard for a reason, because it pays you back so much in
the end.