Re: suggestions for postgresql setup on Dell 2950 , PERC6i controller

From: Scott Marlowe <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Matt Burke <mattblists(at)icritical(dot)com>
Cc: glynastill(at)yahoo(dot)co(dot)uk, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Scott Carey <scott(at)richrelevance(dot)com>, "pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: suggestions for postgresql setup on Dell 2950 , PERC6i controller
Date: 2009-02-06 17:36:47
Lists: pgsql-performance

On Fri, Feb 6, 2009 at 8:19 AM, Matt Burke <mattblists(at)icritical(dot)com> wrote:
> Glyn Astill wrote:
>>> Stupid question, but why do people bother with the Perc line of
>>> cards if the LSI brand is better? It seems the headache of trying
>>> to get the Perc cards to perform is not worth any money saved.
>>
>> I think in most cases the dell cards actually cost more, people end
>> up stuck with them because they come bundled with their servers -
>> they find out too late that they've got a lemon.
>
> That's what's been happening with me... The fact Dell prices can have a
> fair bit of downward movement when you get the account manager on the
> phone makes them especially attractive to the people controlling the
> purse strings.
>
> The biggest reason for me however is the lack of comparative reviews. I
> struggled to get the LSI card to replace the PERC3 because all I had to
> go on was qualitative mailing list/forum posts from strangers. The only
> way I got it was to make the argument that other than trying the LSI,
> we'd have no choice other than replacing the server+shelf+disks.
>
> I want to see just how much better a high-end Areca/Adaptec controller
> is, but I just don't think I can get approval for a £1000 card "because
> some guy on the internet said the PERC sucks". Would that same person
> say it sucked if it came in Areca packaging? Am I listening to the
> advice of a professional, or a fanboy?

The best reviews I've seen have been on Tweakers first, then
tomshardware. I am both a professional who recommends the Areca 16xx
series and a bit of a fanboy, mainly because they saved out bacon this
last year, compared to the crapware we'd have had to buy from Dell at
twice to price to come even close to it in performance. A $11.5k white
box with the Areac is a match for over $20k worth of Dell hardware,
and it just works. Can you get an evaluation unit from a supplier?