Re: Experience with HP Smart Array P400 and SATA drives?

From: "Scott Marlowe" <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Mario Weilguni" <mweilguni(at)sime(dot)com>
Cc: "Alan Hodgson" <ahodgson(at)simkin(dot)ca>, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Experience with HP Smart Array P400 and SATA drives?
Date: 2008-12-10 14:17:52
Lists: pgsql-performance

On Wed, Dec 10, 2008 at 12:45 AM, Mario Weilguni <mweilguni(at)sime(dot)com> wrote:

> A customer of us uses the P400 on a different machine, 8 SAS drives (Raid 5
> as well), and the performance is very, very good. So we thought it's a good
> choice. Maybe the SATA drives are the root of this problem?

What tests have you or the customer done to confirm that performance
is very very good? A lot of times the system is not as fast as the
customer thinks, it's just faster than it was before and they're
happy. Also, there could be problems in the driver or firmware on
your P400 versus the customer one. I'd look for those differences as
well. I doubt SATA versus SAS is the problem, but who knows...