Re: Need help with 8.4 Performance Testing

From: "Scott Marlowe" <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Josh Berkus" <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Need help with 8.4 Performance Testing
Date: 2008-12-08 05:40:17
Lists: pgsql-performance

On Sun, Dec 7, 2008 at 12:38 PM, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com> wrote:

I've got a pair of 8 core opteron 16 drive machines I would like to
test it on. If nothing else I'll just take queries from the log to
run against an 8.4 install. It'll have to be late at night though...

> If you are going to use pgbench to test, *please* read Greg Smith's notes
> first:
> http://www.westnet.com/~gsmith/gregsmith/content/postgresql/pgbench-scaling.htm

When I last used pgbench I wanted to test it with an extremely large
dataset, but it maxes out at -s 4xxx or so, and that's only in the
40Gigabyte range. Is the limit raised for the pgbench included in
contrib in 8.4? I'm guessing it's an arbitrary limit.