Re: db backup script in gentoo

From: "Scott Marlowe" <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Andrus <kobruleht2(at)hot(dot)ee>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: db backup script in gentoo
Date: 2008-11-30 21:20:45
Lists: pgsql-general
On Sun, Nov 30, 2008 at 1:18 PM, Andrus <kobruleht2(at)hot(dot)ee> wrote:
>> Sorry, I'm no gentoo expert.  It's certainly not the first distro I'd
>> recommend to someone just starting out with linux / unix.  Time to
>> break out the google.  I also found quite a few example scripts for
>> lftp with google in a few minutes.
>
> I must manage existing gentoo server where previous maintainer has left
> company.
> lftp is not found in gentoo and nobody knows how to activate it. So I must
> use existing ftp.

It sounds like the last guy there was no gentoo expert either.
Apparently the install command is something like

emerge lftp

but I can't confirm that, since I'm not sitting on a gentoo box.

> This issue may not realted to ftp program.
> I verified multiple times that file exists and is readable.
> Any ides why ftp does not find /root/my-backups/mybackup6.backup ? There

Because ftp is running as a cron?  Doesn't have the right permissions?
 Because it appeared the username and password were failing?  Because
ftp wasn't designed to be scriptable?  Maybe a lack of EOF in the
original example you posted.  Could be a lot of reasons.

> must be something simple.
> Can /root directoy access from fpt program is disabled for some strange
> reason ?

What?  Only root can access /root directory.  Or do you mean something
else?  Only things that should be run by root are things that
genuinely need to, and this doesn't look like one of them.

> [/root/my-backups/mybackup6.backup]

Looks like you're trying to write to the /root directory.  Don't do that.