Re: Ideal way to upgrade to postgres 8.3 with less downtime

From: "Scott Marlowe" <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Swathi S" <ss(dot)postgres(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Ideal way to upgrade to postgres 8.3 with less downtime
Date: 2008-11-11 19:12:55
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Thu, Nov 6, 2008 at 11:04 PM, Swathi S <ss(dot)postgres(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a database of size approx 400G. It's a 24/7 database. Only few tables
> have regular reads and writes. The other tables just store information.
>
> I would like to upgrade to 8.3 and would like to know the best way to
> upgrade with less downtime.

Assuming you're running 8.0 or higher now, slony should provide you
with a one stop upgrade path with the minimum amount of downtime. We
use it for our database which is smaller (~20 Gigs) but quite hard
working, with access around the clock, and we switched out 8.1 to 8.3
with abut 1 minute of downtime.