Re: log activity questions

From: "Scott Marlowe" <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Marc Fromm" <Marc(dot)Fromm(at)wwu(dot)edu>
Cc: "pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: log activity questions
Date: 2008-10-15 00:38:16
Lists: pgsql-admin
On Thu, Oct 9, 2008 at 12:56 PM, Marc Fromm <Marc(dot)Fromm(at)wwu(dot)edu> wrote:
> I started logging on our server. There are many entries like this:
>
> transaction ID wrap limit is 1073768178, limited by database "postgres"
>
> transaction ID wrap limit is 1073771864, limited by database "sms"
>
> Each database has several of the above entries.

That's completely normal.  IT's an information log, not a warning or an error.

> Also there are these fatal entries:
>
> FATAL:  database "template0" is not currently accepting connections
>
> FATAL:  database "template0" is not currently accepting connections
>
> Does the template need to accept connections? If I make a new database based
> on template0 does that mean that database cannot accept connections?

Template0 is your "man, I really screwed up template1" get out of jail
free database.  It is normally set to not allow connections (look at
"select * from pg_databases;" for the field that does or doesn't allow
connections).  If you ever did terrible things to templat1, you could
set template0 to datallowcon=t and then drop and recreate template1
using template0 as the template.  Then vacuum freeze it and set it to
not allow connections again to template0 to get it back to normal
again.