Re: Large number of tables slow insert

From: "Scott Marlowe" <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: tls(dot)wydd(at)free(dot)fr
Cc: DiezelMax <max(at)nts(dot)biz(dot)ua>, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Large number of tables slow insert
Date: 2008-08-23 23:49:58
Lists: pgsql-performance
On Sat, Aug 23, 2008 at 1:35 PM,  <tls(dot)wydd(at)free(dot)fr> wrote:
> Actually, I've got another test system with only few sensors (thus few tables)
> and it's working well (<10ms insert) with all the indexes.
> I know it's slowing down my performance but I need them to interogate the big
> tables (each one can reach millions rows with time) really fast.

It's quite likely that on the smaller system the indexes all fit into
memory and only require writes, while on the bigger system they are
too large and have to be read from disk first, then written out.

A useful solution is to remove most of the indexes on the main server,
and set up a slony slave with the extra indexes on it to handle the
reporting queries.