Re: Postgres User Can Login without a password

From: "Scott Marlowe" <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Rafael Domiciano" <rafael(dot)domiciano(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Postgres User Can Login without a password
Date: 2008-08-01 01:39:59
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Thu, Jul 31, 2008 at 1:08 PM, Rafael Domiciano
<rafael(dot)domiciano(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I have a situation that is a bit strange.
> I discovered today that I can login in programs like EMS SQL Manager and in
> the internal software (via ODBC) without using the password for the user.
>
> Example:
> Configuration on the ODBC:
> datasource: postgres
> database: Postgres
> server: "IP"
> user: 123456
> password: 123456
>
> The software connect to the ODBC getting the configs of the data source.
> And when I clear the password in the ODBC the software continues to work,
> without a passwd error.
> I certified with the programers, and the software doesn't pass the password.

You're likely logging in from the same machine and pg_hba.conf is set
to ident authentication.

Change your pg_hba.conf back to ident or trust, and run this command:

alter user postgres set password='password';

changing 'password' of course

Then change pg_hba.conf to md5 authentication.