Re: Samsung 32GB SATA SSD tested

From: "Scott Marlowe" <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Jeffrey W(dot) Baker" <jwbaker(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "Pgsql performance" <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Samsung 32GB SATA SSD tested
Date: 2008-07-23 00:32:25
Lists: pgsql-performance
On Tue, Jul 22, 2008 at 6:04 PM, Jeffrey W. Baker <jwbaker(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> Strangely the RAID controller behaves badly on the TPC-B workload.  It
> is faster than disk, but not by a lot, and it's much slower than the
> other flash configurations.  The read/write benchmark did not vary when
> changing the number of clients between 1 and 8.  I suspect this is some
> kind of problem with Areca's kernel driver or firmware.

Are you still using the 2.6.18 kernel for testing, or have you
upgraded to something like 2.6.22.  I've heard many good things about
the areca driver in that kernel version.

This sounds like an interesting development I'll have to keep track
of.  In a year or two I might be replacing 16 disk arrays with SSD
drives...