Re: Converting Copy to insert statement in backup file

From: "Scott Marlowe" <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Chris Preston" <chris(at)thetrafalgartravel(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Converting Copy to insert statement in backup file
Date: 2008-07-10 15:44:19
Lists: pgsql-sql

On Thu, Jul 10, 2008 at 9:40 AM, Chris Preston
<chris(at)thetrafalgartravel(dot)com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a backup cron job (shown below) but its too big and there are times
> that I want to just cut out from the text file certain areas to restore data
> in a specific table… Looking in the file, I notice there is a "copy"
> command.. Someone told me that there was a parameter that I could use to
> convert the copy to insert so I could easily cut it out of the file and run
> it on its own ..Any ideas

pg_dump --help says:

-d, --inserts dump data as INSERT commands, rather than COPY
-D, --column-inserts dump data as INSERT commands with column names

So one of those two commands will output insert commands instead of
copy commands. note that insert commands tend to run a bit more
slowly, even if you enclose them in a transaction.