Re: which ext3 fs type should I use for postgresql

From: "Scott Marlowe" <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: "Guillaume Cottenceau" <gc(at)mnc(dot)ch>, "Matthew Wakeling" <matthew(at)flymine(dot)org>, "pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: which ext3 fs type should I use for postgresql
Date: 2008-05-16 17:07:17
Lists: pgsql-performance

On Thu, May 15, 2008 at 9:38 AM, Joshua D. Drake <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com> wrote:
> Guillaume Cottenceau wrote:
>>
>> Matthew Wakeling <matthew 'at' flymine.org> writes:
>
>> It is still relevant, as with 5% margin, you can afford changing
>> that to 0% with tune2fs, just the time for you to start PG and
>> remove some data by SQL, then shutdown and set the margin to 5%
>> again.
>>

> I find that if you actually reach that level of capacity failure it is due
> to lack of management and likely there is much lower hanging fruit left over
> by a lazy dba or sysadmin than having to adjust filesystem level parameters.
>
> Manage actively and the above change is absolutely irrelevant.

Sorry, but that's like saying that open heart surgery isn't a fix for
clogged arteries because you should have been taking aspirin everyday
and exercising. It might not be the best answer, but sometimes it's
the only answer you've got.

I know that being able to drop the margin from x% to 0% for 10 minutes
has pulled more than one db back from the brink for me (usually
consulting on other people's databases, only once or so on my own) :)