Re: Can't reinstall b/c don't know the very long installation password

From: "Scott Marlowe" <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "LaRue, Patricia" <Patricia(dot)LaRue(at)avocent(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Can't reinstall b/c don't know the very long installation password
Date: 2008-05-16 17:01:30
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Fri, May 16, 2008 at 8:41 AM, LaRue, Patricia
<Patricia(dot)LaRue(at)avocent(dot)com> wrote:
> Experts:
>

> I installed PostgreSQL and created the initial "very long" password and
> wrote it down. Someone else did something to change it and now neither one
> of us can log into the DB. So I tried to uninstall and reinstall but my
> "very long" password is not recognized and without it I cannot complete the
> installation. I even tried removing all PostgreSQL stuff from the registry.
> Does anyone know how I can blow away wherever that password is located and
> start fresh?

Two ways to do this.

1: log in in single user mode. To do so, shut down the db, then use
the postgres command to bring up the db in single user mode, like so:

postgres -D /my/data/dir --single

and then issue the command to change the password.

OR

2: change pg_hba.conf to trust on some known IP, hup the server
(pg_ctl -D /my/data/dir reload) and then log in as postgres and change
your password.