Re: Bouncing replies [was: SQL standards in Mysql]

From: "Scott Marlowe" <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "SQL Postgresql List" <pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: Re: Bouncing replies [was: SQL standards in Mysql]
Date: 2008-02-26 03:26:50
Lists: pgsql-sql

On Mon, Feb 25, 2008 at 9:01 PM, Dean K. Gibson <random4(at)mailpen(dot)com> wrote:

> You are missing the point of why I do this. If it weren't for spammers

No, I'm not. You're tilting at windmills. If you post to a public
list, you will get spammed on that email address and there's not a lot
you can do about that.

What you can do is use basic spam detection and deletion software,
like spam assassin, to sort the wheat from the chaff.

I use gmail to read the lists. It's not perfect by any means. But I
see none of the thousands of spam messages that hit my inbox everyday.
We had spam assassin the last place I worked and it was nearly 100%
correct on getting spam, and it's fairly easy to set it up to be able
to learn spam from you telling it any that slipped through.

P.s. I've been using the internet since the mid 80s, and programming
since the late 70s too. I remember a spam free internet, a spam free
usenet even. Wish it could come back, but know that it won't.