Re: terminating connection because of crash of another server process

From: "Scott Marlowe" <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Leticia Larrosa" <leticia(at)tesla(dot)cujae(dot)edu(dot)cu>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: terminating connection because of crash of another server process
Date: 2008-02-13 21:41:10
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Feb 13, 2008 2:48 PM, Leticia Larrosa <leticia(at)tesla(dot)cujae(dot)edu(dot)cu> wrote:

> Hello
>
> I have a postgres database version 8.1.11, in an Ubuntu Server 6.10.
>
> Some days before, I have a hardware failure in my server, and after recover
> the database I get some problems with tables and I had to REINDEX some of
> its.
> But now, doing any actions in the database server (for example: SELECT *
> from my_table), I continue getting the follow error:
>
> """
> WARNING: terminating connection because of crash of another server process
> DETAIL: The postmaster has commanded this server process to roll back the
> current transaction and exit, because another server process exited
> abnormally and possibly corrupted shared memory.
> HINT: In a moment you should be able to reconnect to the database and
> repeat your command.
> This probably means the server terminated abnormally
> before or while processing the request.
> The connection to the server was lost. Attempting reset: Succeeded.
> """
>
> Any help, to solve this or an idea about anything I must check, will be
> appreciated.
>
> The log of my server shows the follow messages over and over:
>
> LOG: database system was interrupted at 2008-02-13 15:37:00 EST
> LOG: checkpoint record is at 1C/837496A0
> LOG: redo record is at 1C/837496A0; undo record is at 0/0; shutdown TRUE
> LOG: next transaction ID: 1596704648; next OID: 2939703
> LOG: next MultiXactId: 1; next MultiXactOffset: 0
> LOG: database system was not properly shut down; automatic recovery in
> progress
> LOG: record with zero length at 1C/837496E4
> LOG: redo is not required
> LOG: database system is ready
> LOG: transaction ID wrap limit is 2147484146, limited by database
> "postgres"
> LOG: server process (PID 9747) was terminated by signal 11
> LOG: terminating any other active server processes

Sig 11 is bad, mkay? basically it means the postgres process is
crashing. It could be crashing because of a corrupted / buggy
executable, or bad hardware. Do you have another machine you trust to
move your pgsql database to? Because I wouldn't trust the one it's
on right now until you can pull it from service, confirm the pg
binaries aren't corrupted, and test your hardware.