Re: [UMN_MAPSERVER-USERS] query postgres AND oracle

From: "Scott Marlowe" <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "John Smith" <jayzee(dot)smith(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "PostgreSQL General" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>, MAPSERVER-USERS(at)lists(dot)umn(dot)edu
Subject: Re: [UMN_MAPSERVER-USERS] query postgres AND oracle
Date: 2008-01-31 20:09:30
Lists: pgsql-general

On Jan 31, 2008 1:38 PM, John Smith <jayzee(dot)smith(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> guys,
> i got geometry in postgres, some other data in oracle. is it possible
> to filter postgres geometry based on oracle data (without using
> services)?

You either import the data from oracle to pgsql and let the db do it
(fastest), use some form of dbilink to cross query to the oracle
database (slower), or you do it in the application (usually slowest)

My recommendation is to write some kind of simple script to import the
data from oracle and keep it up to date, especially if it's not real
high volume.

Explaining more about your particular problem will get better answers.