Re: How to uses self query plan

From: "Scott Marlowe" <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "olivier(dot)boissard(at)cerene(dot)fr" <olivier(dot)boissard(at)cerene(dot)fr>
Cc: "Guillaume Lelarge" <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>, pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: How to uses self query plan
Date: 2007-12-19 23:25:03
Lists: pgsql-admin
On Dec 19, 2007 5:17 PM, olivier(dot)boissard(at)cerene(dot)fr
<olivier(dot)boissard(at)cerene(dot)fr> wrote:
> Guillaume Lelarge a écrit :
> > olivier(dot)boissard(at)cerene(dot)fr wrote:
> >
> >> You're right .
> >> I will begin by migrate postgresql version.
> >> postgresql is now to 8.3 version . A lot of performance inprovements
> >> have been made in this last version .
> >> In any case I must do a pg_dump/pg_restore.
> >> So , Should I try directly 8.3 version or is it more cautious to stay in
> >> 8.1.x version ?
> >>

> > It mostly depends on you. PostgreSQL 8.3 is still in beta phase. So, if
> > you're also on development stage, you can use 8.3. Otherwise, it's
> > better to use the latest stable available, which means 8.2.5.
> >

> I want in fact to make test on a server before , when validated migrate
> on production server , so 8.2.5 is more appropriate.
> Will I be able to  keep my postgresql.conf file or is it not compatible ?

No, you'll need to edit the new one by hand to reflect the changes
you've made in the old one.  Some things get renamed from one to the
next, and often newer versions of pgsql have new settings you that the
old version's postgresql.conf wouldn't know about.