Re: How to uses self query plan

From: "Scott Marlowe" <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "olivier(dot)boissard(at)cerene(dot)fr" <olivier(dot)boissard(at)cerene(dot)fr>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: How to uses self query plan
Date: 2007-12-18 22:46:29
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Dec 18, 2007 4:21 PM, olivier(dot)boissard(at)cerene(dot)fr
<olivier(dot)boissard(at)cerene(dot)fr> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> My purpose is to uses different query plan depending on queries
> I got the following problem : some queries are taking too much time and
> postgresql does not take the most relevant index in account.
> I search on internet and found that no HINT function was available in
> postgresl.
> I tried to change indexes parameters in postgresql.conf but eache time I
> set a param to OFF (example nested_loop ,seqscan, ...) , some queries
> freeze database .
>
> How can we force postgresql to use a plan ?

That's not how we do things in postgresql land (usually).

You should figure out WHY your queries are picking the wrong plan, and
then see if you can get them to pick the right ones. If it's a query
planner bug, you report it here, or the perform or general lists, and
it gets fixed. Generic hints aren't likely to happen any time soon,
although I do believe 8.3 is introducing function costing of some
kind, which seems like a useful idea.

But, back to fixing your slow queries.

1: Increase statistics targets on the guilty columns and reanalyze.
2: Run explain analyze select.... and post the output here.
3: ???
4: profit?