Re: [GENERAL] Error while starting postgreSQL service

From: "Scott Marlowe" <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Bebarta, Simanchala" <Simanchala(dot)Bebarta(at)in(dot)unisys(dot)com>
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] Error while starting postgreSQL service
Date: 2007-11-19 16:58:52
Lists: pgsql-admin pgsql-general

On Nov 19, 2007 4:15 AM, Bebarta, Simanchala
<Simanchala(dot)Bebarta(at)in(dot)unisys(dot)com> wrote:
> Yes, when I set the value to 1300 MB, everything goes fine. Any value
> higher than this value does not allow me to start the service.

Please don't top post.

Anyway, are you sure that increasing shared_buffers that high is
helping? There's some evidence that windows pgsql can't use
shared_buffer settings that high efficiently. Have you tested
shared_buffer settings starting low and working you way up and seen a
steady increase in performance? Or are you just guessing that larger
shared_buffer = better performance?

I'm guessing that it's a limitation of windows and pgsql that you're
running into. If you want to run a large memory postgresql database
server with lots of load, I highly recommend using unix as the
underlying OS, as pgsql is far better tested and supported there.