Re: [SQL] Install two different versions of postgres which should run in parallel

From: "Scott Marlowe" <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Loredana Curugiu" <loredana(dot)curugiu(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [SQL] Install two different versions of postgres which should run in parallel
Date: 2007-08-10 15:21:31
Lists: pgsql-jdbc pgsql-novice pgsql-sql

On 8/10/07, Loredana Curugiu <loredana(dot)curugiu(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I need to have two different vesions of postgres running in parallel on
> different ports. Does anyone knows how to install two different versions
> of postgres (7.4.5 and 8.2.4) on the same computer? I am using Linux
> operating system.

FYI, Linux isn't an OS, it's a kernel.

With RedHat, you'll either need to build your own RPMs from source
where each goes to a different directory etc OR compile from source
using a different --prefix and then use separate startup scripts that
set LD_LIBRARY_PATH and PATH etc... for each install on startup.

If you're running Debian, you can install >1 version of pgsql side by
side. Not sure how it's done exactly, but I've heard it repeated
enough to believe it's true.