Re: Re: Hot Standby query cancellation and Streaming Replication integration

From: Joachim Wieland <joe(at)mcknight(dot)de>
To: Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>
Cc: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Re: Hot Standby query cancellation and Streaming Replication integration
Date: 2010-02-28 15:56:28
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sun, Feb 28, 2010 at 2:54 PM, Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu> wrote:
> Really? I think we get lots of suprised wows from the field from the
> idea that a long-running read-only query can cause your database to
> bloat. I think the only reason that's obvious to us is that we've been
> grappling with that problem for so long.

It seems to me that the scenario that you are looking at is one where
people run different queries with and without HS, i.e. that they will
run longer read-only queries than now once they have HS. I don't think
that is the case. If it isn't you cannot really speak of a master
"bloat".

Instead, I assume that most people who will grab 9.0 and use HS+SR do
already have a database with a certain query profile. Now with HS+SR
they will try to put the most costly and longest read-only queries to
the standby but in the end will run the same number of queries with
the same overall complexity.

Now let's take a look at both scenarios from the administrators' point of view:

1) With the current implementation they will see better performance on
the master and more aggressive vacuum (!), since they have less
long-running queries now on the master and autovacuum can kick in and
clean up with less delay than before. On the other hand their queries
on the standby might fail and they will start thinking that this HS+SR
feature is not as convincing as they thought it was... Next step for
them is to take the documentation and study it for a few days to learn
all about vacuum, different delays, transaction ids and age parameters
and experiment a few weeks until no more queries fail - for a while...
But they can never be sure... In the end they might also modify the
parameters in the wrong direction or overshoot because of lack of time
to experiment and lose another important property without noticing
(like being as close as possible to the master).

2) On the other hand if we could ship 9.0 with the xmin-propagation
feature, people would still see a better performance and have a hot
standby system but this time without query cancellations. Again: the
read-only queries that will be processed by the HS in the future are
being processed by the master today anyway, so why should it get
worse? The first impression will be that it just works nicely out of
the box, is easy to set up and has no negative effect (query
cancellation) that has not already shown up before (vacuum lag).

I guess that most people will just run fine with this setup and never
get to know about the internals. Of course we should still offer an
expert mode where you can turn all kinds of knobs and where you can
avoid the vacuum dependency but it would be nice if this could be the
expert mode only. Tuning this is highly installation specific and you
need to have a deep understanding of how PostgreSQL and HS work
internally and what you actually want to achieve...

> Agreed. Though I think it'll be bad in that case even if we have a
> plan B. It'll mean no file-based log shipping replicas and no
> guarantee that what you run on the standby can't affect the master --
> which is a pretty nice guarantee. It'll also mean it'll be much more
> fragile against network interruptions.

Regarding the network interruptions... in reality if you have network
interruptions of several minutes between your primary and your
standby, you have worse problems anyway... If the standby does not
renew its xmin for n seconds, log a message and just go on...

Joachim