Re: LISTEN/NOTIFY and notification timing guarantees

From: Joachim Wieland <joe(at)mcknight(dot)de>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: LISTEN/NOTIFY and notification timing guarantees
Date: 2010-02-16 08:28:13
Lists: pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Feb 16, 2010 at 6:20 AM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
> Another possibility is to force a ProcessIncomingNotifies scan to occur
> before we reach ReadyForQuery if we sent any notifies in the
> just-finished transaction --- but that won't help if there are
> uncommitted messages in front of ours.

What about dealing with self-notifies in memory? i.e. copy them into a
subcontext of TopMemoryContext in precommit and commit as usual. Then
as a first step in ProcessIncomingNotifies() deliver whatever is in
memory and then delete the context. While reading the queue, ignore
all self-notifies there. If we abort for some reason, delete the
context in AtAbort_Notify(). Would that work?

Joachim