Re: [PERFORMANCE] Buying hardware

From: A B <gentosaker(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [PERFORMANCE] Buying hardware
Date: 2009-01-27 08:20:10
Lists: pgsql-performance
>> 4) Use software raid unless you have the money to buy a raid
>> controller, in which case here is the ranking of them
>>      <list of brand/modells>
>
> Areca and 3ware/Escalade are the two best controllers for the money
> out right now.  They tend to take turns being the absolute best as
> they release new cards.  Newer Arecas (the 1680 series) use an
> ethernet port for traps and such, so no need for special software that
> might be kernel version dependent.
>
> Both cost about the same for their top of the line cards.
>
> Make sure you have battery backed cache.

While browsing the net I found a server with a raid controller
	HP Smart Array P400/512MB BBWC Controller
How does one know what this is, if it is any good or so? I guess they
just stuck their "HP" label onto some other raid controller?
I could write HP but I guess that wouldn't help much. And I could also
look through the archives for the mailinglist. When I find the
time,I'll do so and try to create a wiki page.

The problem with this kind of built-in hardware is that it might suck,
and then you can't plug in any other hardware in the box.