Re: What's new?

From: Peter Geoghegan <peter(dot)geoghegan86(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: rod(at)iol(dot)ie
Cc: iepug(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: What's new?
Date: 2010-01-30 00:31:41
Lists: iepug

Hi Ray,

> Not a whole lot here.... we've recovered from Christmas, floods and ice!
> Lovely weather here in the west, for once.

The cold spell certainly was a major inconvenience for me too.

>> Did you get a chance to play with window functions and (recursive) CTEs Raymond?
>
> I had a play with the query Greg Stark produced that generates the
> Mandelbrot set - really cool! Haven't needed to look at window functions
> yet, but keeping them in the back of my mind as a tool.

Wasn't that David Fetter? You might be surprised at the broad
applicability of CTEs (recursive CTEs not so much) - I was. They've
sprung up a lot in my production code. I was able to use a recursive
CTE very effectively to populate a graph of historic stock quantities
day-by-day, working backwards from the authoritative current qty in
stock - doing this without recursive CTEs would have been very
difficult. They make complex queries more manageable too.

> How's life in Kildare?

Pretty good, thanks.

> By the way, I (finally today) sent in the second shot at registering
> postgresql.ie - the letter is attached in case anyone's interested -
> let's see what happens this time.

Great. The .ie registrar is *way* too conservative.

Regards,
Peter Geoghegan