ssl tunneling in postgres 8.1

From: "P Kapat" <kap4lin(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: ssl tunneling in postgres 8.1
Date: 2008-11-18 08:46:34
Lists: pgsql-novice
Hi,

I am reading the documentation from here:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/static/ssh-tunnels.html

I am able to ssh (I use ssh keys) in to foo.com using the username
joe. My client machine (localhost) is bar.com with username sam (say).

bar$ ssh -L 3333:foo.com:5432 joe(at)foo(dot)com
[this logs me into foo as joe; here i have access to a database named
"joe" using the password "joepass"]

So I try to connect to this local port (but remote server) by:

bar$ psql -h localhost -p 3333 joe -U joe -W
Password for user joe: joepass
psql: server closed the connection unexpectedly
        before or while processing the request.

And on the remote ssh terminal I get the following error:

foo$ channel 3: open failed: connect failed: Connection refused

What am I doing wrong? I don't know if this matters: foo.com (remote)
runs the 8.1 server and bar.com (my client machine/localhost) runs
8.3. What server parameter needs to be tweaked?

Is this relevant: http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/static/ssl-tcp.html ?

foo$ postgres --describe-config | grep ssl
ssl	postmaster	Connections and Authentication / Security and
Authentication	BOOLEAN	FALSE			Enables SSL connections.

--
Regards
PK

pgsql-novice by date

Next:From: A. KretschmerDate: 2008-11-18 09:22:25