adding a user library path..

From: "P Kapat" <kap4lin(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: adding a user library path..
Date: 2008-06-23 23:39:52
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hi,

I am working on a RHEL 5 box where I do not have any administrative
access. But if need be, I can request the administrator to do some
changes. Currently the following packages are installed on the box:

postgresql.i386, postgresql-contrib.i386, postgresql-devel.i386,
postgresql-docs.i386, postgresql-libs.i386, postgresql-pl.i386,
postgresql-python.i386, postgresql-server.i386;

all at version 8.1.11-1.el5_1.1.

I have successfully (i think) compiled proj4.6, geos-3.0.0, and
postgis and "installed" them under $HOME (with proper
$LD_LIBRARY_PATH). But postgres server is not aware of this path. How
do I rectify this?

pg_config shows the following (among other parameters):

BINDIR = /usr/bin
INCLUDEDIR = /usr/include
PKGINCLUDEDIR = /usr/include/pgsql
INCLUDEDIR-SERVER = /usr/include/pgsql/server
LIBDIR = /usr/lib
PKGLIBDIR = /usr/lib/pgsql
SHAREDIR = /usr/share/pgsql
SYSCONFDIR = /etc/sysconfig/pgsql

If I understand correctly, the shared libraries for postgis should be
inside $PKGLIBDIR for the server to see them. Is there any userland
configuration (like adding $HOME/usr/local/lib to ~/.psqlrc) that will
solve this?

Again, a userland solution will be helpful unless an administrator's
access is unavoidable!

Thanks in advance,

--
Regards