Re: Performance degrade running on multicore computer

From: afancy <groupme(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Performance degrade running on multicore computer
Date: 2009-11-22 09:02:20
Lists: pgsql-performance

Hi,

I am using the PostgreSQL 8.4. What is the code path? After a row is
inserted to the table, it will update the fields of "validfrom", and
"validto". Followings are the table structure, data, and the performance
data:

xiliu=# \d page
Table "pyetlexa.page"
Column | Type | Modifiers
-----------------+-------------------+-----------
pageid | integer | not null
url | character varying |
size | integer |
validfrom | date |
validto | date |
version | integer |
domainid | integer |
serverversionid | integer |
"page_pkey" PRIMARY KEY, btree (pageid)
"url_version_idx" btree (url, version DESC)

Here is the data in this table:
http://imagebin.ca/img/KyxMDIKq.png

Here is the performance data by "top":
http://imagebin.ca/img/2ssw4wEQ.png