rules and table renaming

From: Teunis Peters <teunis(at)wintersgift(dot)com>
To: PostgreSQL general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: rules and table renaming
Date: 2005-06-29 22:11:54
Lists: pgsql-general

I'm renaming a table to a live database.... before it goes REALLY live
and ends up on lots of servers. For various reasons I've got various
different clients floating around and can't get them all updated
synchronously.

anyways.

How do I make a set of rules to pass insert/update/delete/... on to the
new table?
aside: insert - should be straightforeward. Delete - IS
straightforeward.
However one of the client programs update each table item (UPDATE table
SET item=value WHERE key=value) where item could be a number of
different table items... THIS rule I'm having a problem with - any
suggestions?

It could be something I'm missing blindly. I haven't worked with
triggers/rules/plsql/... before umm yesterday. Haven't needed them
and I've been using postgresql since umm lots of years now *grin*